Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Story of Ping


"My mother used to read stories to me when I was small. One of my favourite books was The Story about Ping – I read it at the launch of kidsREAD 10 years ago."
Lee Hsien Loong.

Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong had a reading session with some kids at the Ang Mo Kio library. He was reading a book called "Go to Sleep Gecko" , a but mentioned about an old time favourite of his called "The Story about Ping" . Written way back in 1933, it was one of those old school classics that I remember fondly. Ducks are such cute creatures and the sight of them waddling in groups and yet looking so graceful in the water always puts a smile on my face. 

The Story about Ping is about a little duck who hid himself as he didn't want to be spanked ( the last duck coming in always gets a little spank ). In doing so, he almost landed up as someone's dinner ! Due to his luck, he was released and was truly glad to be reunited with his master and friends , even happily receiving his little spank because he knew he deserved it. 





No comments: